Cyclone Marching Academy 2023
Registration for our 2023 camp close on June 02, 2023. Late registration may be possible, but please email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
June 16 & 17, 2023
The Cyclone Marching Academy is back! One of the most popular marching band camps in a 300 mile radius, the Cyclone Marching Academy provides three unique single-day tracks focusing on: Percussion, Color Guard, and Leadership. Every year we strive to offer instruction from some of the most accomplished educators in our state, as well as bringing world-class marching arts professionals to Ames, IA to provide a worthwhile experience for high school students at any knowledge level.
2023 Camp Fees:
$75 individual registration fee includes:
- Enrollment in one of our single-day tracks featuring instruction from world-class marching arts professionals
- the official Cyclone Marching Academy 2023 t-shirt
- a pizza lunch that is provided.
Group rate and registration are available for schools bringing five or more students. Directors should email email@example.com in order to recieve a unique link for group registration and more information on the group registration process.
Group Rate Breakdown:
- If your school registers for 1-4 tracks, each one costs the full $75 registration fee
- If your school registers for 5-9 tracks, each receives a $10 discount ($65 registration fee per track)
- If your school registers for 10-14 tracks, each receives a $15 discount ($60 registration fee per track)
- If your school registers for 15-19 tracks, each receives a $20 discount ($55 registration fee per track)
- If your school registers for 20 or more tracks, each receives a $25 discount ($50 registration fee per track)
Camp Schedule for 2023:
8:00-8:45am - Check-In at Simon Estes Music Hall (2427 Union Dr., Ames, IA 50010)
9:00am-12:00pm - Instruction, Masterclasses, and Sectionals
12:00pm - Lunch (provided pizza lunch) and Staff Performances
1:00pm-4:00pm - Instruction, Masterclasses, and Sectionals
4:00pm-4:30pm - Snack break (provided)
4:30pm-5:30pm - Final performances for other campers (not open to public)
Frequently Asked Questions:
What do you mean by a single-day track?
- The single-day camp started as a safe way to make our way back after all of the events of the 2020 school year. However, we have received tons of positive feedback on our single-day offerings and believe that this is the way forward for this program.
I want to attend the "advanced" percussion track - what's that all about?
- We are offering the option that students who want to take a "deeper dive" into the technique and content would be able to attend both days of the camp. You could choose to simply sign up for the "Fundamentals track" on Friday, and then the "Advanced track" on Saturday. If you want to skip the fundamentals track on Friday and only show up for the Saturday "Advanced track," you'll need to send us a audition video for acceptance by June 10th (details will be sent out via email if you've chosen this option)
I'm interested in more than one track (percussion and leadership, for example), can I choose to participate in both?
- Yes! One of the benefits of our 2023 single-day offerings means that students could attend one track on Friday, and a different track on Saturday!
Can I come to both days of one track?
- We plan to offer the same exact content each day of the camp, so you wouldn't get as much benefit out of attending a second day - plus it means that we would be able to reach fewer students across the two day experience. Our goal is to impact and improve as many students as possible, so we ask that you choose just one day to attend -- or choose a different track for the second day. ** the exception to this is the "percussion advanced track" which is described above.
- Color Guard will only be offered on Day 1, so there will not be an opportunity to attend a second day.
What age/experience is this camp designed for?
- Overall, the camp is designed for students entering 9th grade all the way through senior year of high school. Students who have just graduated high school are also welcome. Our percussion and guard tracks are tailored for the individual student - beginner through advanced. For percussion, we suggest that students have familiarity with percussion as this would not be a camp to teach the basics of music. Students should have completed a few years of band experience before tackling marching percussion. For colorguard, we recognize that some students might be brand new to colorguard and we can accommodate that. For the leadership track, we suggest that these students have at least one year of marching band experience and either exhibit an interest in being a leader within their band or are already on the leadership team for their band.
Do I need to bring my own equipment?
- Percussion - you should bring sticks and a pad if you own one (make sure to label it with your name!), and we'll provide all the drums and music!
- Guard - we will provide a flag to spin (with a 6 foot pole) and have some rifles available (if you are signed up for the rifle track). All other accessories (such as gloves) are your responsibility.
- Leadership - we will provide materials for you to take notes during your sessions to help you retain the valuable information you'll receive!