About Kappa Kappa Psi
Kappa Kappa Psi operates primarily as a student service and leadership recognition society whose chief aim is to assist the Director of Bands in developing the leadership and enthusiasm that is required of his/her band. Our goals are to provide the band not only with organized and concentrated service activities, but to give our membership valid and wholesome experiences in organization, leadership and social contacts. The honorary nature of membership is based on our premise that "it is an honor to be selected to serve" this band, its department of music, its sponsoring institution, and the cause of band music in the nation's colleges and universities.
The Fraternity is presently located in over 150 colleges and universities. Since 1919 more than 50,000 interested bandmembers have devoted their efforts to strengthening their bands through group and individual service projects. The Fraternity's program of continued service to Music has attracted the attention of the best in American band tradition. We number among our ranks John Philip Sousa, Karl King, Frank Simon, Herbert L. Clarke, Harold Bachman, William D. Revelli and many other contemporary composers, conductors and music educators.
Through its commissioning program, the Fraternity has presented such noted works as Francis McBeth's The Seventh Seal, Claude T. Smith's Symphony #1 for Band, and Fisher Tull's Prelude & Double Fugue.
Membership in Kappa Kappa Psi is an educational and service activity as well as social one. And it is this kind of activity that enriches the band student's life and sharpens an appreciation for both the best in Music and what it takes to achieve it. It is to this end that our National Fraternity is dedicated, and we cordially invite your participation in this effort.
|Neil Armstrong||John Denver||David Maslanka||Frank Ticheli|
|Milton Babbit||Maynard Ferguson||Branford Marsalis||Lawrence Welk|
|Count Basie||Dizzy Gillespie||Wynton Marsalis||John Williams|
|Ray Charles||David Holsinger||Buddy Rich|
|President William Clinton||Freddie Hubbard||Lionel Richie|
|Norman Dello Joio||Stan Kenton||Doc Severinsen|
We, the brothers of Kappa Kappa Psi, believe that service to the college or university band program fosters responsibility, loyalty, and leadership; that a spirit of brotherhood is enhanced by the participation in a band program; that music is a universal language and truly the greatest of the arts; and that through fraternal participation, each member will strive for the highest.
- To promote the existence and welfare of the college and university bands and to cultivate at large a wholesome respect for their activities and achievements.
- To honor outstanding bandmembers through privilege of membership extended as a reward for technical achievement and appreciation for the best in music.
- To stimulate campus leadership and promulgate an uncompromising respect through the medium of the college band for gracious conduct, good taste and unswerving loyalty.
- To foster a close relationship between college bands and promote a high average of attainment by the performance of good music and selection of worthwhile projects.
- To provide a pleasant and helpful social experience for all engaged in college band work and to cooperate with other musical organizations in any manner consistent with the purposes of the institution at which chapters are located.