About the Department
The Department of Music offers a strong undergraduate music program, where students study with full-time faculty professionals in a supportive environment that encourages students to become their best.
Department of Music Mission Statement
The Department of Music is committed to a philosophy of education that draws its goals from the larger purposes of liberal arts education and from the guidelines of its accrediting agency, the National Association of Schools of Music (NASM). The primary aims of the department are to prepare students for a variety of professions in music, to provide all students with educational experiences that will enhance their understanding of and aesthetic sensitivity to music, and to serve as a vital force in the cultural life of the university, the community, and throughout the state and nation. The activities of the department reflect the university's commitment to excellence in teaching, creativity, and service.
The program of the music department is twofold. It provides:
- A comprehensive program of professional studies for students who wish to prepare for careers in music, including teaching, performance, and composition, and for students who plan to pursue graduate studies in music.
- Courses in music literature, history, theory and areas of performance for all students, regardless of major.
Department of Music Vision Statement
- The department has a strong tradition of offering the best in undergraduate education and outreach. It is committed to:
- recruiting outstanding student musicians.
- offering personal attention, small class sizes, outstanding faculty, and a student-centered learning environment.
- providing opportunities for all students to have memorable, first-class experiences in the performing arts.
- developing national stature in the understanding and effective use of technology in the performing arts.
- supporting diversity through the study and performance of music from various world cultures.
- creating outstanding music/theatre professionals as well as life-long learners.
- placing all graduates in teaching, business, graduate school, or professional performance venues.