Iowa State Band History Album
- Page A
Nearly all Iowa State student musicians have
known a facility called Music Hall. As many years passed,
at least four different structures have been given that name. Here
are four versions of Music Hall.
photo from the Farwell Brown collection
Music Hall - Version One - 1896-1912
South Hall stood facing North on what is now Union Drive directly
south and east of the where the Campanile now stands. It was contracted
to be built in 1868 as the first of three "professors' houses", and became
the home of the first president of the college when it was occupied by
Adonijah Welch and his family in 1869. After the Welches moved into
Gables in 1879, South Hall was used by the departments of Botany
and Veterinary Medicine. In 1880, it was used by Domestic Economy
and then after 1896 Old South Hall was known as Music Hall
(the first Music Hall) until it burned in 1912.
photo from the Ames Historical Society collection
- click image for a wider view
Music Hall - Version Two - 1912-1927
This was the Sanitary
Building on the ISC campus. It faced North on a rise about where
the northwest corner of the Memorial Union later would stand. Originally
built as a college hospital facility in 1884-1885 (remodeled in 1900),
it held hospital rooms on the second floor. The first floor housed
offices for the Veterinary College. In 1907, the hospital facilities
were moved to the Boarding Cottage-West. In 1912, when South
Hall burned, this building was converted
into quarters for the Music Department and was known as Music Hall
(the second Music Hall) until it was torn down in 1927 for the construction
of the Memorial Union. The Edwards Coal Company building on Lincoln
Way (first called Boone Street) is visible in the background.
photo by Fred Cerwick, 1972
Music Hall - Version Three - 1928-1978
The second "professors'
home" built on campus (1863) was first occupied by mathematics Professor
George W. Jones. Edgar W. Stanton lived with Jones's family when
they lived in the house, and from 1879 to Stanton's death in 1920, the
home was known as the Stanton House.
In 1899, The house was remodeled and enlarged. After her husband's death,
Mrs. Stanton continued to live in the house, and when she started a tea
room in 1922, the home became known as
The Maples. The music
department moved into the house in 1928, and the house became known as
Hall (the third Music Hall). This house (the back side
overlooked Lake LaVerne) became the department headquarters until the house
was torn down in 1978 for the new music building (also named Music Hall)
that was constructed on the same site. Many of the music faculty
had their offices here. When the department first offered a music degree
in 1967, it was known that the next proposed construction on campus would
be a new music building, today's Music Hall (the fourth Music
Hall). At that time the music department was spread across much
of campus, with the band staff in Exhibition Hall, orchestra and
Morrill Hall, and some music
education staff in
Pope Cottage (just East of Buchanan Hall,
graduate student housing). However, since the Iowa legislature was
in charge of funding, and with money in short supply, the new music building
project was really many years away (1980).
|This rare 1885 view of campus (facing Southwest)
was taken from the area just west of where the Knoll today stands.
Visible from left are the Sanitary Building, Old Main, Morrill
South Hall. The bridge spans College Creek.
photo from the Farwell Brown collection
This 1925 photo of the proposed site of the
Memorial Union shows the second Music Hall (soon to be razed, and
formerly called the Sanitary Building) directly above the word Memorial.
It also shows (directly to the left) the building which would become the
third Music Hall. That special location close to the Campanile
and Lake LaVerne, would also be the site of the present Music Building.
Music Hall - Version Four - 1980
The fourth Music Hall had been dreamed
of and had been promised and talked about since the late 1960s, when
the Music Department could first offer a Music Degree (a Bachelor of
Science with a Major in Music). However, available funding delayed
the building for over twelve years. This fine facility replaced the
third Music Hall which was removed before this facility was constructed
in the same location. This fourth Music Hall first opened
in 1980 and has been used ever since. Besides being more up-to-date,
this building is much larger, providing offices for the entire Music Department,
rehearsal halls for all ensembles, rooms for nearly all classes,
liberal practice rooms, and an impressive auditorium.
next page - Page B
back to photo album index
If you wish to suggest corrections or additions, e-mail
alan (at) spohnheimer.com