The Third Building to be called Music Hall


(click image for larger version)
The Stanton House - the third Music Hall

click to enlarge

The Maples - the third Music Hall

click to enlarge

This postcard image looks north over Lake LaVerne to the third Music Hall.


photo from the Farwell Brown collection

This campus view (1912-1914) shows what is now called Union Drive, facing west from near the second Music Hall (formerly the Sanitary Building).  (In 1927, the Memorial Union would be constructed where the photographer was stanting for this shot.)  On the hill to the right, partially obscured by trees, is the house (the Stanton House) which from 1927 until 1978 would be known as Music Hall (the third Music Hall). Visible at left in the distance is the 1911 College Creek bridge leading to Welch Avenue.  Lake LaVerne would be visible on the left after 1915.

the Maples - click to enlarge
click to enlarge

This photo, taken from South Gate, just north of the intersection of Welch Avenue and Lincoln Way, shows the Stanton House (later called the Maples, and finally called Music Hall after 1927) which looks over Lake LaVerne. The postcard providing this view was postmarked 1921. Central Building, later called Beardshear Hall, is visible behind the trees on the left.  Stanton Memorial Carillon. is seen on the right.
 

Edgar W. Stanton
(1850-1920)

The "Mr. Chips" of Iowa State, "Stanty" served his school with selfless dedication from his graduation in 1872 as the top scholar in its first class, until his death.  Initially he conducted all of the mathematics courses Iowa State offered.  When the courses were departmentalized in 1876, he was appointed head of the department.  He was secretry of the College Board of Trustees from 1874 to 1909, acting dean of sciences from 1910 until 1913, and dean of the Junior College from its establishment in 1903 until his death.  During each of his four terms as acting president of Iowa Stte, Stanton provided a stability and continuity which were vital during potentially troubled inerim periods.  During his third and longest term, 1910-12, Iowa State made advances which especially evidenced Stanton's executive abilities, particularly in campus construction.

Stanton was largely responsible for the organization of the Iowa State Alumni Association in 1878, and remained a guiding spirit in alumni affairs throughout his life.  Iowa State's famed campanile had its beginning with 10 bells Stanton donated in 1899 in memory of his first wife, Margaret.  Shortstop on Iowa State's first baseball team as an undergraduate, Stanton gave his school's athletic activities enthusiastic and constructive support throughout his life.  Although he was unable to finish it, his work in the preparation of an Iowa State history the last year of his life marked the effective beginning of the College History Collection.  After his death, the carillon in the campanile was renamed the Edgar W. and Margaret McDonald Stanton Memorial Carillon.

(text by Robert T. Hilton, ISU Information Services staff)

back