Photo Album of IOWA STATE's BANDS 

A bit of the history of Iowa State Bands
 This site is available as
(www.iastatebandhistory.us)
First, a view of Early Iowa State Bands
 Music Hall               History A 
Four Music Halls     The Early Years
History B
1920s
History C
1930s
History D
1940s
History E
1950s
History F
1960s
The following pages show photos of the entire
ISU Music Department
from 1967-1968 through 1972.
Iowa State
offers a
Music Degree
These photos
show all ...
That means ALL bands, faculty, 
classes, orchestra, and chorus
in the ISU Music Department
These Pages represent "The Change" --->
Page 1 Page 2 Page 3 Page 4 Page 5
  Page 6 Page 7 Page 8 Page 9 Page 10
The change when Page 11 Page 12 Page 13 Page 14 Page 15
 the ISU Music Department Page 16 Page 17 Page 18 Page 19 Page 20
 finally offers a Music Degree!
Page 21
Page 22
Page 23
Page 24
 
Below, a view of IOWA STATE BANDS in the new era
 Who were the Iowa State Band Directors?
  History G
after
1972
  History H
Independence
Bowl, 01
  History I
05 Houston
Bowl
 
 History J
Modern
Times
 
 
click to enlarge
(photo from the Ames Historical Society collection - click image to enlarge)

This photo from the late 1890s shows an early Iowa State College Band pictured in front of Old Main.  Also pictured are the male and female drill squads and several cannon.  Seen to the right is the railroad depot (known today as The Hub) for the Dinkey, which carried passengers and freight between the college and downtown Ames.  Old Main, originally known as Main or the College, stood approximately where Beardshear Hall now stands.  Until Old Main burned (in 1900 and 1902), it held nearly the entire operations of the college.  It was the residence of all faculty and students, and also housed the classrooms, the library, the chapel, museums, and dining halls.

If you have corrections or additions, e-mail alan (at) spohnheimer.com